I have addressed several times the homeless people who come into the library and camp out all day from open to close.Sleeping in the library, dressing in the bathroom stalls or doing laundry in the restroom sink that is not allowed and they will do nothing about it.

People bring in their dogs and they won't ask them if it is a service dog because; they say they are not legally allow to asked so you get a dog that grows at you when you walk by the owner looking for a book or a video. Service dogs are required to wear a vest saying they are a service dog. I had gone to one security office to report people sleeping after I reported to the librarian and he did nothing about it. He asked one man he knew by name if he was a wake and he got no repose because he was sleeping (See Photo).

When I got no support from the staff, I took my complaint to the administrative office of the San Diego Public Library and they did nothing about it.

In stead of cleaning the place up, they hate the truth that the public library has become a homeless and animal shelter and disrespect my 1st amendment rights having my review and photo removed off google.

Reason of review: Homless and pet shelter during operational hours when it is a library.

I didn't like: Rude and unresponsive staff.

Had an Experience with Encinitas Library?

Comments

Snover, Michigan, United States #1253625

Unfortunately the homeless use public libraries as a shelter.This seems to be an issue in warm climate states.

Visiting relatives in California I stopped in at the Ojai public library - the odor of urine and unwashed bodies was overwhelming. Obviously homeless persons were sleeping in all the chairs and their belongings were everywhere. Didn't see any dogs.

There has to be a balance - I should be able to visit and enjoy a public library without smelling dirty unwashed bodies and have a place to sit.

Homeless should have a safe place to go - but it isn't a public library.

Libraries are not equipped to house people- that is not their purpose.

Aren't there homeless shelters where they can congregate and take care of their needs?

Griblit

Really? Maybe you should help them improve their lives instead of complaining about their existence. You're vile.

to Griblit #1267204

Why don't you make their lives better and let them stay with you. Oh thought so, you won't. Asshat.

I agree with the other comment down here.Leave the people be.

That dog is not even paying you attention so not "growling"at anyone.

Do not like it do not go there.You re so above others I am sure you can drive yourself to a different library.

to Anonymous #1116059

3 likes, no dislikes, OP obviously hasn't made it over here in time to dislike this one but just you wait until pilates class gets out

Snake Plissken
to Anonymous #1292344

"do not go there"

"drive yourself to a different library"

Wrong, Liberal Loon.It's a "public" library - anyone can go there, taxpayer and "homeless" alike.

You can't discriminate against either one, despite your bias. What you *can* do is pass rules regarding proper use of the library and... ohhhh, look L.L., that's already been done, and trashing the library is not allowed. Imagine that.

That means it's *the homeless goon* that has to "not go there." Looks like you were backing the wrong side...again...

Justagirl
Kokomo, Indiana, United States #1112972

Wow..I sure hope you or your kids, loved ones ever have to live life like the ....if they are not hurting you, leave them be!!! It has to be a ruff life for these people..maybe you can try to hve a little empathy. .sometimes they might not have a place to go during the day as I've heard shelters have designated hours someone can be there...have some compassion, and if anything, maybe you could stop and get a coffee, a 1.00 or two hamburgers there to give them...I cn not believe people re so judgmental and so entitled..I ure hope your do not have childern or when you do, you grow up a bit to teach them some compassion

to Justagirl #1116258

Sounds like a bunch of *** liberals making their comments. This is not a shelter or pond it is a library. These people will bring down the property value and quality of life hanging out here with their dogs and sleeping here and eventually be a hood hangout and close down.

Reality
to Anonymous #1291059

Exactly.Liberals live in a different world.

It's ok to ruin their libraries. Throw the "homeless" a sandwich like a piece of cheese to rats to reinforce their behavior and keep them coming back for more.

More urine, more trashed restrooms, more stink, more lice in the chairs.Liberals and their handouts and their shaming tactics - they never do anything more significant than this to solve this problem but expect everyone else to solve it and to live in the filth in the meantime.

Reality
to Justagirl #1291070

"I ure hope your do not have childern...".Wow..

Sounds like you're the one that's judgmental and entitled. You have compassion for the ones destroying the library instead of the ones who pay for it with their taxes and want to use it as it was intended to be used?

Educate yourself: Come to the library, sit in the infested chairs that make you smell like urine and stray dogs, and learn to spell.Curing your illiteracy, ignorance and misguided intentions is what the library is for.